THE RED PILL

DIALOGUE AND DISCUSSION ON EDUCATION, ENVIRONMENT AND RACE

A Teacher's Perspective: Inside the Public Schools

For months, I have been looking for an opportunity to share what physically and mentally goes on inside a classroom. This may be the place. I won't (at least I'll try) get into a lot of philosophy, just the day to day stuff or, as they say in sports,"keeping it between the lines." I'll have to give some of my background and since I'm almost at the end of my career, I will bring you up to speed as to where I've been and the things that went on at those schools. This will be an ongoing process so get ready to ride with "Teacher Man! I will try to let you in on some of the things that really go on in the Public Schools, Monday through Friday, bell to bell! I will share a little bit about my training and I'll try to bring you along using my ears and eyes. Hopefully, you can feel, see and hear what I feel, see and hear because I will give it to you like/as it happens. And trust me, I need this discussion as much as anyone!

Coming to Memphis, Tennessee, in the early nineties, I had an opportunity to get certified in a program called 'Project Teach!" It was a collaborative program involving Memphis State( at that time!), LeMoyne-Owen College and Shelby State Community College. It gave a few minority students with bachelor degrees an opportunity to get certified in elementary education. I jumped at the opportunity since working for temp services throughout this city was not what I considered my cup of tea. I also felt I could really give back to the students. I knew it was a great opportunity. Not that it meant anything but my father was an educator and so was my mother. So I thought I could do this. I was nearly 40 at the time and I had never given any real thought about making teaching a career. I had taught several months with an emergency credential in South Central Los Angeles and I thought it couldn't be any worse than that. And at least with this program I could get some valuable and necessary training to really help kids learn and be successful. So I took advantage of the opportunity.

My brief experience in Los Angeles was at Bethune Junior High on 78th and Broadway. It was in the middle of a strong Crip gang presence and there was beginning to be an East Los Angeles' hispanic growth spurt with gang issues too. Most of my students were Hispanic and Black. Many of the Hispanic students couldn't speak English well or at least they played like it. Many were new arrivals to the US and the LA community and, by law, all children have the right to attend public schools in America. I was teaching Algebra and was sharing a room with a white guy. I had scored high on the CBEST teaching aptitude test in all areas and particularly math so since they needed math teachers, I got hired. You see I had received a strong math training while in the public schools of East St. Louis so I knew I could do this. I didn't have any classroom management skills but thought I could handle the students since I was raised in East St. Louis and had survived the military. I had never had any education courses so I wasn't prepared for what I was about to deal with. It was a trip! Students wouldn't listen!! They would throw erasers!! Uniforms were whatever! At that time most students wore their colors.

One incident I remember was with Javier, a Latino kid. I spotted him tagging a wall and I shouted "stop"! He bolted and my instinct told me to go after him. He jumped the fence and boy was I embarassed. I thought I was doing what teachers are supposed to do. Right! I was told by a more experienced teacher to never chase after a student. That was that! They brought him back into the school and, subsequently, back into the room. Before the semester was over, I think he quit coming. Another memorable situation happened one day with a young Black student. He was really a good guy if/when he came to school but one day he dropped some weed after showing me a bankroll of money. He was affiliated with the Crips but that didn't bother me. Most were affiliated with some organization. When he dropped the money and the weed, he quickly picked it up and ran. Again, I ran after him but this time I stopped at the office. He left the building and eventually returned. I don't think much happened to him in terms of consequences. We laughed as a matter of fact about the money and the drug situation. He quit coming to class too, I think!

I lasted at Bethune until that Spring. It was daily chaos and confusion for me. They had several dances. The students got a snack break about 10:00am in the yard which was surrounded by fence. It reminded me of a penitentiary yard. Snacks were given and the students had an oppportunity to socialize and plan! The Principal was a Black lady (cute) and seemed rather under the radar. I dealt with her a few times because I had taken a lot of days off! (smile) I enjoyed teaching but the rigors day-to-day were rough. One day the white guy I was sharing a room with got pissed at me for some reason. I told him the room was the kids, not ours. It lead to more stress. He was very territorial while I was just there trying to help the students learn some algebra. Anyway, by the Spring I had found a job in the defense industry. I'll stop here for now. Next, we'll head to Memphis!(smile) Boy do I have stories to tell about this experience.

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Harlem Learning Zone:
In the late 1990s, education-reform advocate Geoffrey Canada began an ambitious social experiment, pledging to do whatever it took to improve the lives of New York City's poor children. The Harlem Children's Zone has since grown into a ninety-seven-block community-service project that includes Promise Academy charter schools, social services, parenting classes, and early-childhood-development and after-school programs.

Through his innovative approach, Canada has demonstrated that it's possible to bridge the achievement gap if disadvantaged kids receive early, continuous educational opportunities. Test results show that in 2004, the Promise Academy middle school's first year, only 21 percent of its students were at grade level in reading and 9 percent were at grade level in math. Three years later, those figures had improved to 33 percent and 70 percent respectively.

Paul Tough, an editor at the New York Times Magazine, chronicles the Harlem Children's Zone's successes -- and its setbacks -- in his new book, Whatever It Takes: Geoffrey Canada's Quest to Change Harlem and America. Edutopia.org spoke with Tough about early-childhood development, the role of parents in education, and whether Canada's model can work in other parts of the country.

This appears to be another example of something that is working! I love it!
1. Anonynymity is maintained.
2. I believe the person answering the phone that they will deal with the situation of metal detectors
not be used.
3. They are willing to contact the specific school where this is occurring and ensure that the process
occurrs properly.
4. However, if they do not get the name of the school, I'm sure they will do nothing.

So, an opportunity for a change is in front of our faces. and what is the choice? If we say nothing, nothing changes. If we say nothing, we remain part of the problem and not a part of the solution.

Here's the question. Starting tomorrow, do you want that High School to be a safer place?
If the aswer is yes, then I need to know the name of the school.
If the answer is no or one does not care, then one need not both letting me know the name of the school.

In all cases, one acepts responsibility for one's decision-making.
Barry, the 90 million is less a tenth of the school district's yearly budget. It is for programs to hire and train better teachers, at least the Gates Foundation says so. However I don't trust Gates or any other foundation because it was those bastards that derailed the process in the first place.

They can give them a trillion dollars, they can teach all the students at an accelerated level, but they'd still just be teaching them the same bullshit only faster. It is not so much how you teach or how fast, but what are you teaching them? I have still not read anywhere in Harlem or Chicago where they are really teaching students to think. I know plenty of tricks and means to get children to pass tests, to get them in college, but will they track how many finish and how well they do? Will they track their career and business paths? Let's not break out the champagne so fast. Not only is it not over, it really hasn't started yet. Personally, I don't think it ever will. I think anticipating something like this being disbursed throughout the country is part of the programing this system does so well. I say it aint happening.
Craig, can you be specifc? What was the school that the incident occurred in which the metal detectors are going off and the students are not being asked to remove their items?

Also, there exists a process to utilize. The Students are asked to empty their pockets and other items into baskets and go back through the detectors. Plus, if additional assistance is required, they can always can for police assistance. There exists a protocol for the school "searchers" to follow.

What I'm asking specifically is what school did this occur in?
I listened to the end of the UnderGround Railroad show. NP. The name of any Memphis High School do as long as you have experienced the situation of no metal detection occurring at that school, as hard core data and not heresay. I believe they will ensure that the school will address the situation.
Dr. Kriner Cash's data 08/06/09 -
"Our team saw that there were six serious factors or “fault lines” in the district:
1) A majority of our students were coming to kindergarten without pre-K literacy and mathematic skills;
2) A myriad of health issues were preventing tens of thousands of our students from their best work;
3) More than 30,000 students were overage for grade;
4) Safety and discipline issues needed immediate attention to address a rising tide of violence;
5) One in three of our students changed schools at least once during the school year; and
6) The district was losing on average 3,000 students each year to other districts, private schools, and home schooling.

Notice #6!!!!!
I've spoken with Mr. Darling, Head of Security of the MCS and he would like identification of the school whose Metal Detection procedures have become lax. I've shared that my contact is afraid of sharing any further information because of reprisal. He stated that anonymity can be maintained (through me) and that they want to know what school has become lax so that they can ameliorate. So...

1. Do we want the problem resolved and possibly head off a violent situation?
2. If we don't take action, does that mean we become part of the problem?
3. Are we going to walk through our fears and take a risk?

I am awaiting your responses and I can provide anyone a complete transcript of the conversation between Mr. Darling and myself should anyone want it.
Barry,

I am not afraid of taking a risk. Thanks for your concern and I hope it helps the students and the staff at the schools. I do hope they remain safe and become even safer. I've worked at Mitchell High School for 6 years and the metal detection procedures were relaxed. I've worked at Snowden Middle School for six years and the metal detection procedures were relaxed. I worked at Melrose High School and the metal detection procedures were relaxed. I currently work at Kirby High School and the metal detection procedures are relaxed. That procedure you are talking about is not followed. I've taught at Levi Elementary and there were no metal detectors. Pick any of those schools. Mitchell High School is all over the news this evening for an alledged rape of a female student by one of the Memphis City School Security Officers. Let's see how this one plays out. I pray it isn't true!
Letter has been sent to Mr. Darling, I hope there is an addressing to the situation this Morning!
I've put in 3 calls as a follow-up to my fax. No response yet. Perhaps they are giving the alleged rape incident a higher priority.
I just read a follow-up on the alleged rape chages. Yes, I imagine the Head of Security of MCS is very much caught up in all of that since apparently there have been 2 such cases in a month. So, I would say the entire school system needs re-training in protection and and execution of security procedures. It's going to be VERY difficult for them to explain the metal detection LAXed situations at this point.

Does anyone know if the Metal Detection process has now become LESS LAX?
Today, I spoke with Dr. Hall who called the Kirby High School and requested them to "shore-up" the lax Metal Detection procedures at that school. He mentioned that Spring Break is now starting. So, we'll have to wait and see how things are when the kids come back from break which I believe is April 5th.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Adisa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service