THE RED PILL

DIALOGUE AND DISCUSSION ON EDUCATION, ENVIRONMENT AND RACE

A Teacher's Perspective: Inside the Public Schools

For months, I have been looking for an opportunity to share what physically and mentally goes on inside a classroom. This may be the place. I won't (at least I'll try) get into a lot of philosophy, just the day to day stuff or, as they say in sports,"keeping it between the lines." I'll have to give some of my background and since I'm almost at the end of my career, I will bring you up to speed as to where I've been and the things that went on at those schools. This will be an ongoing process so get ready to ride with "Teacher Man! I will try to let you in on some of the things that really go on in the Public Schools, Monday through Friday, bell to bell! I will share a little bit about my training and I'll try to bring you along using my ears and eyes. Hopefully, you can feel, see and hear what I feel, see and hear because I will give it to you like/as it happens. And trust me, I need this discussion as much as anyone!

Coming to Memphis, Tennessee, in the early nineties, I had an opportunity to get certified in a program called 'Project Teach!" It was a collaborative program involving Memphis State( at that time!), LeMoyne-Owen College and Shelby State Community College. It gave a few minority students with bachelor degrees an opportunity to get certified in elementary education. I jumped at the opportunity since working for temp services throughout this city was not what I considered my cup of tea. I also felt I could really give back to the students. I knew it was a great opportunity. Not that it meant anything but my father was an educator and so was my mother. So I thought I could do this. I was nearly 40 at the time and I had never given any real thought about making teaching a career. I had taught several months with an emergency credential in South Central Los Angeles and I thought it couldn't be any worse than that. And at least with this program I could get some valuable and necessary training to really help kids learn and be successful. So I took advantage of the opportunity.

My brief experience in Los Angeles was at Bethune Junior High on 78th and Broadway. It was in the middle of a strong Crip gang presence and there was beginning to be an East Los Angeles' hispanic growth spurt with gang issues too. Most of my students were Hispanic and Black. Many of the Hispanic students couldn't speak English well or at least they played like it. Many were new arrivals to the US and the LA community and, by law, all children have the right to attend public schools in America. I was teaching Algebra and was sharing a room with a white guy. I had scored high on the CBEST teaching aptitude test in all areas and particularly math so since they needed math teachers, I got hired. You see I had received a strong math training while in the public schools of East St. Louis so I knew I could do this. I didn't have any classroom management skills but thought I could handle the students since I was raised in East St. Louis and had survived the military. I had never had any education courses so I wasn't prepared for what I was about to deal with. It was a trip! Students wouldn't listen!! They would throw erasers!! Uniforms were whatever! At that time most students wore their colors.

One incident I remember was with Javier, a Latino kid. I spotted him tagging a wall and I shouted "stop"! He bolted and my instinct told me to go after him. He jumped the fence and boy was I embarassed. I thought I was doing what teachers are supposed to do. Right! I was told by a more experienced teacher to never chase after a student. That was that! They brought him back into the school and, subsequently, back into the room. Before the semester was over, I think he quit coming. Another memorable situation happened one day with a young Black student. He was really a good guy if/when he came to school but one day he dropped some weed after showing me a bankroll of money. He was affiliated with the Crips but that didn't bother me. Most were affiliated with some organization. When he dropped the money and the weed, he quickly picked it up and ran. Again, I ran after him but this time I stopped at the office. He left the building and eventually returned. I don't think much happened to him in terms of consequences. We laughed as a matter of fact about the money and the drug situation. He quit coming to class too, I think!

I lasted at Bethune until that Spring. It was daily chaos and confusion for me. They had several dances. The students got a snack break about 10:00am in the yard which was surrounded by fence. It reminded me of a penitentiary yard. Snacks were given and the students had an oppportunity to socialize and plan! The Principal was a Black lady (cute) and seemed rather under the radar. I dealt with her a few times because I had taken a lot of days off! (smile) I enjoyed teaching but the rigors day-to-day were rough. One day the white guy I was sharing a room with got pissed at me for some reason. I told him the room was the kids, not ours. It lead to more stress. He was very territorial while I was just there trying to help the students learn some algebra. Anyway, by the Spring I had found a job in the defense industry. I'll stop here for now. Next, we'll head to Memphis!(smile) Boy do I have stories to tell about this experience.

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Barry, great questions. I ask them all the time of school board members, teachers and principals and I only get enigmatic answers. They do admit the teaching environment would change and grades for what they are worth would go up.

I don't think most kids want to be in school, not just because of violence, but also because it is non relative and boring.
Here's the thing:
1. Kids HAVE to engage the real world.
2. Do these kids state what would make school relevant and non-boring?
3. Why are these kids bored?
Michael Meade, when asked what would be a turnaround for young people, stated "ART". He shared that he was in also in a gang when he was a kid (although he said they called them "crews"). What got him out of the gang? Rock & Roll hit and hit big. And the kids then wanted to rock. So many Rap artists talk about how, if they had not gotten into Rap, might be dead. Yet, many schools have removed the ART curriculum from their schools at all levels of grades.

Solution #1 - Reinstitute ARTs programs. Memphis has the Gibson Guitar factory and is the home of R&R and the Blues.
How much are these businesses contributing to a musical ARTS program for all the schools.
Barry on some levels you may get some participation. I don't know if art is included in MCS. It probably is in some manner. As to Rap, man we worked security at Africa in April for a rap concert. It seemed like every young person in Memphis wanted to be a rap artist. They also are some of the most violent people.

I think this problem is much, much deeper than the lack of art. I think it's the non relevance of the institutions. I think the children spot the hypocrisy of schools and what we are witnessing is the result of that recognition. As to the blues, I don't think there is much connection between young people and the blues. Hell I don't even like the blues.
It's not about "the blues", it's about ART. Expression of soul through ART. Be the art music, or painting or poetry, writing dancing (pop, jazz, ballet, freestyle, breaking, MJ). Once while marking in a bagpipe band, I witnessed a brass band, horn players. And the tune they were playing was Janet Jackson's "I Get Lonely" and when not playing the horns they were dancing as they marched.
It's about ART!!!

What non-relevance? The kids MUST learn to engage the real world.

Is there something specific to Memphis schools that makes things Non-Relevant?
Doing a bit of research:

This past weekend in Memphis and for Memphis schools:

[... the Haringey Young Musicians will perform with the Memphis Youth Performing Arts Company and the Memphis City Schools Studio Jazz Orchestra, which consists of the Central High School Jazz Band, the Overton High School Orchestra, Cordova High School Orchestra, and the Trezevant High School Dancers...]

So, Memphis schools do have monies allocated to support ART in the form of Bands & Dancers.
Hmmm, I'd like to know how well this is going. It appears that the School Superintendent of Memphis has already stated what I've said on the phone calls. Specifically:

"MEMPHIS, TN -- The superintendent of Memphis city schools is teaming up with religious leaders and business leaders to promote a five-year plan to turn around the school system.

“We can’t just keep doing what we’ve been doing,” said Superintendent Kriner Cash. “We've got to have a whole new strategy and a whole new commitment from the community to do this.”

Dwight Montgomery, president of the Memphis chapter of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, agreed.
"

Remember what I said about doing the same thing over and over is insanity? I'd like to know how well this is proceeding.
Kriner Cash, school superintendent of Memphis states:
"MEMPHIS, TN -- The superintendent of Memphis city schools is teaming up with religious leaders and business leaders to promote a five-year plan to turn around the school system.

“"We will be adding on to the end of the day, and in some cases we will be expanding the school year for a cluster of schools,” Cash explained. “We will be adding advanced placement courses in these schools. We will be having freshman gender-based academies in every high school. The school system will rely on federal help too. The state of Tennessee has applied for some of the $4 billion available through the federal government's "Race To The Top" program for education reform nationwide. Cash hopes Memphis city schools will get "$60 to $100 million, $60 to $90 million.”"

So, they will go back to separating the sexes. Should be interesting in seeing whether the sexual competition amongst men goes away and the classrooms are calmer. And Superintendant Cash may be quite successful in getting "cash" for the city.

Here are his main objectives:
http://www.mcsk12.net/forms/First%20100%20Days.pdf

Key Initiatives and Activities include:
1. Student Achievement,
2. Safety and Discipline,
3. Health,
4. Preparation to Compete Globally,
5. Board Relations,
6. Family and Community Involvement,
7. Stakeholder Engagement,
8. High-performing, Diverse, and Motivated Faculty and Staff, and
9. Culture

So, my question is...

How well is it going? What are the Checkpoints/Benchmarks and reported results to date?
Great discussion Barry and thanks for the input. I believe those students involved in arts and athletics do better overall than the other students. But, unfortunately, they are a minority. The majority of public school students don't participate. We try hard to get kids to participate/be active in extra-curricular activities but there are only so many billets/spots so-to-speak. The operable words are "those students involved"! How do we reach those students not involved? Dr. Cash will solicit Christian religious leaders assistance/input. What about the Muslim brothers? Many of them have been deeply involved with other sub-cultures. In my judgment they could bring so much to the table. Dr. Cash's paradigm is so Euro-centric. For some reason this is not working for our students, not just in Memphis but throughout the country. I don't know hte answer but I know something has to change. It is going to get worse before it gets better because the government is getting involved. They want to control our schools. They already do but we had a sense of community at one time. It's about to be totally lost because of all the standards, controls and BS. Our community will have ushered up its kids to Big Brother and I don't think that's the answer. Like Al says, "the children have spotted the hypocrisy"! "Checkpoints/smeckpoints",....... we have a real problem! And it ain't in Iraq or Afghanistan!
What hyprocrisy? And what solutions have the kids brought to the table? Are the kids working on their own education? Are they improving things for themselves? Are the Muslim leaders approaching K. Cash for a solution. The question is:
What are the current problems today? Is K. Cash's plan showing any results????
Here's a solution
#2, If they don't want to be invovled.... Expel them.
#3 If they are disruptive, expel them.
I'm checking into the Memphis High Schools on its concept of "Zero Tolerance Police" and "expelling of students.
For purposes of clear communications...
suspend
1 : to debar temporarily especially from a privilege, office, or function
expel
2 : to force to leave (as a place or organization) by official action : take away rights or privileges of membership.

So the question I asked, to the person who answered the phone was "Does the school have a 'Zero Tolerance Policy and does it expel students?" and the answer I got was "Yes". However, I asked for clarification. I asked the person to give an example. The example she gave was not an expelling, but a suspending. She gave examples of:
1. Student threatening teachers
2. Gang related activity
and she used the word "expel" and sad that's an automatic 180 expelling from the school. I said to her "That's not expelling. That's suspending. Expelling is permanent. Suspending is temporary."

I think she had a brain fart at that point.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Adisa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service