THE RED PILL

DIALOGUE AND DISCUSSION ON EDUCATION, ENVIRONMENT AND RACE

This inparticular "DRUG", ooops... I mean "POISON", nope... I mean "SUGAR SUBSTITUTE"... is really a major problem... Can someone tell me why no one has addressed this one before
http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

Its in every kind of "sugar-free", "diet"... etc... and it makes YOU FAT!!!

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, this is old information for those that have bothered to look. My daughter brought it to my attention 5 years ago and on another website I am on the consequences of using Equal or any other generic was discussed. However, you offered it up for others to see for themselves. Now they need to check, recheck and check it again. We learn never to accept a single source as evidence. And by doing our own research we may discover that other substances have equal detrimental effects.

Thanks for the information.
Exactly, if you start where the thought arises, then one can pick a direction in which to pursue further.
thats cool dat lil kids can bring "info" to the table. she should start her own social network. Gee, all my daughter brought me home was good grades...
They went as far as including it in the "Doublemint" (ETC.) gum too...
At least they took the gelatin out of skittles...lol
Looking at watch.
Below is an example of what I was referencing: Just as there is information that says it is harmful there are dozens of sites that say that information is bogus. So rather than come out that restroom like Michael Coleone I just suggested you true it up first.

You grok?

U.S.ADD TIME NEWS NEWSLETTERS
MainThe PagePoliticsSwamplandReal Clear PoliticsWhite House Photo BlogVideos

A Web of Deceit
By CHRISTINE GORMAN Monday, Feb. 08, 1999PrintReprintsEmailTwitterLinkedInBuzz up!Facebook
MORE...

Heard the one about the common shampoo ingredient that causes cancer? Or how about the epidemic of blindness among toddlers who accidentally get waterproof sunscreen in their eyes? These absurd fictions used to be the stock-in-trade of ninth-graders bent on frightening the younger kids. But now such tall tales are appearing on the Internet, and many adults are taking them seriously.

Consider the latest electronic health scare: about the artificial sweetener aspartame, which is found in everything from Equal to Diet Coke. A widely disseminated e-mail by a "Nancy Markle" links aspartame to Alzheimer's, birth defects, brain cancer, diabetes, Gulf War syndrome, lupus, multiple sclerosis and seizures. Right away, the long list warrants skepticism. Just as no single chemical cures everything, none causes everything.

In this and similar cases, all the Nancy Markles of the world have to do to fabricate a health rumor is post it in some Usenet news groups and let ordinary folks, who may already distrust artificial products, forward it to all their friends and e-mail pals. I received several copies last week, as have many doctors and health organizations.

When I searched Altavista www.altavista.com for aspartame AND brain AND seizure AND sclerosis, I learned that Markle's message is almost identical to an antiaspartame screed first penned under a different name in 1995. None of the specific allegations pan out, however. Among the more outrageous claims:

--Aspartame leads to "methanol toxicity." Not even close. Trace amounts of methanol exist naturally in many fruits and vegetables, and a tiny amount is released whenever the body digests aspartame. But there's four times as much methanol in a glass of tomato juice as in a can of aspartame-sweetened soda, and our bodies have no trouble handling such a tiny amount.

--Aspartame triggers headaches. Wrong again, says Susan Shiffman, a medical psychologist at Duke University who conducted a double-blind placebo-controlled trial of 40 "aspartame sensitive" people. A little probing often revealed the real trouble. One woman, who often ate peanuts with her diet soda, was allergic to peanuts. Another drank too much caffeine.

--Aspartame is responsible for the recent uptick in brain-cancer rates. So how do you explain that the trend dates back to 1973, eight years before aspartame was approved in the U.S.?

Curiously, Markle didn't warn against aspartame's single known health risk. Folks with an uncommon genetic disorder called phenylketonuria shouldn't consume the sweetener because they cannot metabolize one of its ingredients.

Before you decide to believe or, worse, forward an e-mail with serious health claims, do a little checking. Start on the Web with urbanlegends.miningco.com which catalogues the more persistent rumors. Then go to reliable health sites, like mayohealth.org (for general health), www.medhelp.org (especially good for cardiology), www.oncolink.org or cancernet.nci.nih.gov (for cancer) or www.navigator.tufts.edu (for nutrition). Otherwise, you might get caught in a web of confusion.

For more Web resources on Internet health rumors, see time.com/personal You can e-mail Christine at gorman@time.com

RSS

© 2024   Created by Adisa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service