THE RED PILL

DIALOGUE AND DISCUSSION ON EDUCATION, ENVIRONMENT AND RACE

For those who choose to do the work---the first thing that we are going to do is to teach ourselves about the word etymology. In order to do this in a correct manner, there are some minor things that must be accomplished. 1st  thing for us to do---get over knowing without knowing---whatever you have been taught in school is not what we are doing-get over believing what your saviors have told you, because, it is not what we are doing. The process that you will learn is an aspect of learning how to learn and you are going to learn how to teach yourself.  YOU are going to learn how to fish for yourself so that you will not have to trust another to know for YOU.  This is the only way that you will come to have the power to feed yourself. 

Please go to your dictionary and look up the word etymology.  Please make yourself familiar with this word.  Start by reading the definition.  From here, go to the dictionary guide or how to use the dictionary and read what it tells you about the science that is known as “Etymology”.  As we precede, we will at a later time enter into dialog about definitions and meanings, this will be important but we will have to wait. Look up the words etymon and also logy. 

Please post comments about what you find and this will allow us to move forward.

B.

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@MMO-Most probably it will be well worth the time invested---it was for MX.

B.

I'm out of town with mom at the moment.  I will follow up on this when I arrive back in Houston on Tuesday and will have limited access to internet until then.

Mwanze

will look forward to the interaction and I know you will be one of the ones to receive the benefit.

B.

By the way, I have noticed that a great number of people say that they are interested in learning about the past, I find it strange that they do not know how to build a time machine-Whereas-one of the component parts is language.  How do you study the past without knowing how language evolves and changes as time moves forward.  As the time changes so does the language that is used to convey what is thought about what is going on at the time of YOUR existence or the existence of your ancestors.

B.

once you start to asking questions, this is what alerts you to the fact that you have begun to learn.  Now you are going to have to learn how to ask the correct questions in the correct manner, and this takes time and effort.

B.

Cliff,  this is what my study uncovered:
et·y·mol·o·gy   [et-uh-mol-uh-jee]  Show IPA–noun, plural -gies.
1. the derivation of a word.
2. an account of the history of a particular word or element of aword.
3. the study of historical linguistic change, especially as manifested in individual words.

Origin: 1350-1400; Middle English  /span>Latin etymologia  /span>Greek etymología, equivalent to etymológ os ) -studying the true meanings andvalues of words ( étymo s true ( see etymon) + lógos  word,reason) + -ia -y
Etymology had deliberately been made one of the strong features of this dictionary.  During the years of preparation, the etymologies of all the entries were restudied in light of recent publication, early dated quotations, and the chief new etymological dictionaries.  The results of this survey, often original in character, are here presented with a fullness altogether unparalleled in any previous American dictionary.  A striking innovation is the exhaustive treatment accorded to words of native origin, hitherto comparatively neglected in most English dictionaries.  While it is undoubtedly easier to etymologize words borrowed into English from the Classical languages, the native word-stock deserves the attention accorded it here on the grounds that ist comprises much of the everyday vocabulary of the English language.  On semantic grounds alone, it probably more important that the reader should recognize the constituents which make up such borrowed words as attention and adventure.  The careful attention given the native vocabulary is paralleled in the painstaking care given to borrowings from Norse and Low German sources.
     Whenever the semantic history of the entries can be illuminated by the procedure, etymologies are carried back t the Indo-European base and correlated through this with other words, both native and of Classical or Romance origin, which are also ultimately derived from it. A typical example of this treatment is that of light:
light (lit), n. [ME. liht; AS. leoht; akin to G. licht; IE. base *leuq-, to shine, bright, seen also in L. lucere, to shine, lux, lumen, light (cf. LUCID, LUMINOUS), luna, moon (cf. LUNAR), etc.],
The first section of this etymology provides typical Middle English and Anglo-Saxon forms representing the history of the word within English itself.  Next comes a cognate form from another Germanic language (in this case, German) introduced by the words  akin to.  The final section of the etymology gives the reconstructed Indo-European base (its hypothetical character is indicated by *), its generalized meaning or meanings, a selected group of Latin words also derived from this base, and cross references to borrowings or derivatives of these found in English.  The intention behind this elaborate apparatus is not to present a mere list of historically related forms; it is to elucidate the semantic background of the entry, link it with other words of similar descent and meaning, and prepare the way for the more recent semantic history of the entry represented in the definitions.  In short, the editors have thought of the etymologies as a vital part of definition and as guide to the correct focusing of the definitions proper................................

Namaska Brother,

You are now out of the gate.  Please remember this is not a  sprint or a qt. mile, this is the long mile the real race!!!!

B.

It may help to the do the same trace for the words, true, origin mean, sense and source.

Sense took me beyond those five senses we were taught. Multiple dictionaries really made the difference in this exercise.

However, I am still stuck on how to truly trace man back to mind although it was listed as one of the meanings.

I gained much insight about the word source.

remind me in class and I will point out a path that you can engage in which may make it easier for you to accomplish this search.

B.

Please look up and trace the etymology of the words---holy---bible----ghost---alpha---spirit>

B

I did this last night after class. I was able to use several dictionaries. Alpha gave me a meaning for ox that I had not been able to ascertain from other dictionaries. Now I understand it in a sense I was not able to before.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Adisa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service